As a senior, I’m considering switching to a paleo diet. Do you have any easy, delicious recipes to make at home?
Pumpkin Paleo Chili
Ingredients for Five Servings:
• 1 cup of chicken broth
• 1 pound of ground turkey
• 8 cloves of garlic, chopped
• 3 cups of chopped yellow onion
• 2 cups of pumpkin puree
• 2 tablespoons of honey
• 4 teaspoons of dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon of sea salt
• 2 teaspoons of chilli spice
• 2 cans of fire-roasted tomatoes
1. Sauté the garlic and onions in coconut oil in a large pot for 5 minutes.
2. Add the ground turkey and cook it for another 5 minutes after breaking it up with a spatula.
3. Stir and bring it to a simmer after adding the rest of the ingredients.
4. Take off the lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. If it’s too thick for your taste, add more chicken broth.
Paleo Creamy Basil and Tomato Chicken
• 1 pound of chicken boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
• 1/2 cup of canned coconut milk
• 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
• 1/2 yellow onion
• 1/3 cup of cold water
• 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
• 1/2 teaspoon of arrowroot powder
• 1 batch of dairy-free, nut-free pesto
Ingredients for Dairy-Free, Nut-Free Pesto:
• 3 garlic cloves
• 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
• 1 package | 2/3 oz of fresh basil
• 1 tablespoon of avocado oil
• 2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds
Directions for The Pesto:
1. Mince the garlic finely in a food processor.
2. Add in the sunflower seeds and pulse the mix.
3. Put in the nutritional yeast and a dash of salt and pepper.
4. Add the avocado oil and basil, then pulse. Ensure the basil is minced nicely.
5. Put the pesto aside until the rest of the dish is ready.
Directions for The Main Dish:
1. Put a large frying pan over medium heat and heat the coconut oil until it sizzles.
2. As the oil heats, cut the onions into strips and add them to the skillet. Cook until translucent.
3. Add and cook the chicken in the pan for 12 minutes. Then flip it over and cook for another 13 minutes.
Tip: Avoid moving the chicken around too much when flipping it over for the perfect sear.
4. If the chicken is not cooked through, let it cook until there is no pinkish tinge in the chicken or the juices.
5. Mix the arrowroot powder with water in a bowl to make the sauce. Then add the coconut milk and pesto and whisk the mixture.
6. Pour the sauce into the pan and bring to a simmer.
7. Add in the cherry tomatoes and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
8. Serve with spiralized sweet potatoes or zucchini noodles if desired.
Easy Sweet and Sour Pork Chops
Ingredients for Four Servings:
• 4 pork chops bone-in (about 8 oz / 225 gr each)
• 2 tablespoons of butter
• 1 teaspoon of fine grain salt
• ⅛ teaspoon of ground black pepper
Ingredients for The Glaze:
• 2 tablespoons of honey
• ½ teaspoon of dried rosemary
• 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
• ½ teaspoon of dried oregano
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• Pinch of red pepper flakes (if desired)
1. Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat it to 200 deg Celsius (400 deg Fahrenheit).
2. Flavour the pork chops with pepper and salt and set them aside.
3. Put a large, oven-proof pan over medium-high heat and use it to melt the butter.
4. Put in the pork chops as the butter sizzles and sear each side for about two minutes until golden.
5. Roast in the oven for roughly six minutes.
6. As the pork chops roast, mix the glaze ingredients in a saucepan. Then bring the sauce to a boil and let it thicken to a simmer. Cook it for about five minutes until thick enough.
7. Take the pork chops out of the oven and coat them with glaze.
8. Put them back in the oven and cook for four minutes until caramelized.