Face Yoga: The Secret Weapon of Ageing Gracefully
Did you know true happiness is revealed in our eyes, and true sadness is revealed in the muscles of our chin? Our face is actually an open book for everyone to read, so why not give it a glow-up?
Like the rest of your body, you will tone and firm if you exercise your facial muscles. You are giving them a lift and adding volume to reduce sagging.
Yoga for seniors is one of the best exercises you can do; according to a Study, yoga slows down markers of cellular ageing and lowers inflammation levels. In this article, we discuss this type of yoga.
Yoga for the face is a natural, alternative therapy that may provide lasting results. With this technique, you work on your neck, shoulders, and face with various massages and exercises. Combined with behaviour modification techniques, facial and tongue exercises can promote a proper tongue position and improve breathing, chewing, and swallowing—the practice of face yoga results in healthy, glowing skin.
Does Face Yoga Work?
One Study‘s results indicate that facial yoga can increase your face’s structural appearance by strengthening your cheeks and face muscles. As a result of treatment, practitioners say that they appear to be younger. Other health benefits of face yoga include:
- It controls your facial muscles is possible.
- Your muscles are reprogrammed.
- It can boost your self-esteem and confidence.
- Nasal breathing can be improved.
- It enhances the neck’s shape.
- It improves symptoms of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders.
- You will have a more symmetrical face.
- It tones your facial muscles.
- The under-eye circles will be diminished.
- It decreases fine lines and wrinkles.
Face Yoga Method
Our facial muscles typically weaken and drop as we get older. Yoga for the face involves stimulating the muscles, skin and lymphatic system through massage and exercises. Using this technique, you can relax your facial muscles and release tension, anxiety, and stress. You may also be able to stop making the facial expressions that are associated with those feelings. Facial exercise or facial yoga should accomplish these goals:
- The workouts should improve blood circulation, which boosts natural collagen and elastin production, resulting in healthier skin cells and a more youthful appearance.
- All 57 muscles in the face, neck, and scalp should be strengthened and toned during the workouts.
- Facial exercise should aid in the smoothing of fine wrinkles. This occurs as the weakening muscles are toned and pulled back to their natural posture.
Read More: Pilates vs. Yoga for Seniors
Yoga for Face Skin Tightening
Facial yoga focuses on strengthening the muscles of the face and neck. It also tones facial muscles and promotes blood circulation. Exercising your muscles improves tone over time, just like any other workout. Face yoga is the same way. And, like with most non-invasive skin care techniques, it’s a long game, with the best benefits coming after a period of consistent use. According to a study, results can take a few weeks to a few months for some people. Here we have six yoga for face skin tightening exercises.
You can perform this technique any time of the day. This face yoga method increases blood circulation and helps you release tension.
- Tap rhythmically with your fingertips on your forehead.
- Continue down your face to your jaw.
- Tap the front of your neck and shoulders.
- Then work your way up to your head along the back of your neck.
- Take a few deep breaths while you cup your hands over your face.
Wink and Hold
This technique helps to reduce lines and wrinkles around the eyes. Don’t bother if you can’t wink because you only need to close your eyes partially for this.
- For one second, hold the partial wink.
- Make sure all of the muscles around the winking eye are contacted. Slowly let go.
- In a single set, do this 20-25 times. Please don’t overdo it; one set a day should be enough.
The eyebrows can droop due to ageing and continual wincing, but you can persuade them to behave and stay lifted with a few simple techniques. This face yoga exercise helps to plump up your brows and keep them in place.
- Put your index and middle fingers together.
- Right above the brows, press the skin down with your fingertips.
- Make your brows go up and down while pressing down with your fingertips.
- Repeat for six sets, each with ten brow rises and drops.
The platysma is the muscle that causes a double chin. This muscle connects your jawline to your shoulders, and its loosening can cause sagging skin on your neck. You will be able to get your facial muscles back to being tight with this quick exercise.
- Choose a position that is most comfortable for you, whether you stand or sit straight.
- Tilt your head back and look up at the ceiling.
- Touch your tongue to the roof of your mouth while keeping your head motionless. The contraction of muscles should cause a mild prickly ache in your neck. Slowly relax and return your chin to its usual posture.
- Repeat five times, with each set lasting roughly 25-30 seconds of tongue hold time.
This yoga face exercise help you have more beautiful cheeks.
- While smiling, lift the cheek muscles while bringing your lips together.
- Slide the fingers of your right hand up to the top of your cheeks. Then place them on either side of your mouth.
- For 20 seconds, hold the position.
This face yoga exercise helps you reduce stress and relax your face muscles.
- Sit down and brace your hands upon your knees or the floor.
- Using your nose, inhale deeply.
- Spread your tongue out and stretch it toward your chin as you open your mouth wide.
- Make a “ha” sound while forcing your breath across the base of your tongue.
- Relax and breathe.
- It is okay to repeat this up to seven times.
What Is Happy Face Yoga
Yoga exercises for the face, such as Happy Face Yoga, can make people look younger. Based on the same principles as resistance training, the exercises are practical. Your fingertips provide the resistance that your facial muscles have to work against, strengthening and toning those muscles. Here are three happy face yoga exercises you can try at home.
The Cheek Lifter
Over time, gravity tends to pull our cheek muscles down, which gives us the appearance of a flat face. This happy face yoga workout strengthens all cheek muscles, making us appear younger.
- Make a long OH with your lips open.
- Put your upper lip over your teeth and fold it over.
- Smiling again to help reactivate your cheek muscles.
- Place your index finger on the top of your cheeks, beneath your eyes, and gently relax your cheek muscles, allowing them to return to their natural position.
- Lift your cheek muscles back up by smiling from the corner of your mouth.
- Repeat ten times.
You can use this exercise to lift your face and chin muscles.
- Push your bottom jaw out and elevate your bottom lip with your mouth closed.
- A stretch should develop right under the chin and along the jawline.
- Relax after 10–15 seconds of holding the position.
- Make three sets of 15 reps.
Eye Bag Remover
This happy face yoga exercise helps to reduce bags beneath the eyes by strengthening the orbicularis oculi, a large muscle that surrounds the eye and creates the lower eyelid. It also aids in the widening of the eyes.
- Make a long OH with your lips open.
- Put your upper lip over your teeth and fold it over.
- Raise your bottom eyelids and squint your eyes.
- Press three fingertips of each hand under your lower eyelids, directly on top of your cheekbones.
- Pull down gently while pressing your fingers firmly against the cheekbones.
- Close your eyes hard and try to lift your bottom eyelid. Under your fingertips, you should feel your muscles tense.
- Reopen your eyes, relax, and repeat ten times.
Happy Face Yoga Before and After
The face Yoga method uses facial exercises and massage to target your facial muscles, skin, and fluid drainage system (lymphatic). Your face and neck are composed of many muscles, not just the ones you use to express yourself, so these exercises aim to work more of them. You need to do facial exercises daily for at least 20-30 minutes six to seven days a week. Results begin to appear after three to four weeks. It’s best to consult your dermatologist before starting an exercise program for your face.
Facial exercises such as face yoga for seniors and post-workout massage for seniors have numerous health benefits. Exercises such as yoga for seniors and Pilates for seniors can help us have a healthier lifestyle. Don’t forget, alongside exercise, staying hydrated and getting the proper elderly nutrition is also essential.
The whole idea seems nice, but I’m not sure if it’s practical. Having nice tight skin and a youthful appearance depend on many factors. Exercise and diet, to begin with, genetics and not to mention the skin products we use. stress and anxiety, blood sugar and other conditions can harm the skin. But I think face yoga and massages can have some results, but they certainly are not miracles.
Yes, Rogers, I do agree with you. But some activities like face yoga are perfect for our skin. In my experience, I have good moments when doing these exercises. Because I really feel the changes after doing the face yoga. Because during the exercises your stress level will be reduced and your skin pores will be open, and they are able to breathe! That’s why face yoga is effective for the rejuvenation of the skin.
I agree with you. The most important factors to have a youthful face are genetic, having hydrated skin, and wearing sunscreen. I believe that face yoga has a lower impact than the factors mentioned above.
Wow, I can’t believe I didn’t know such a thing as “Face Yoga” exists up until now. It seems like it’s worth a try. But will it make my face get thinner if I do this?
Thank you. I’ve never done any face exercise, but this seems very beneficial. Maybe I should try it and see if there will be any changes. What is muscle memory, though? can someone explain it to me? I’ve never heard of the term.
Before I study this article, I thought just older women should care for their skin. After reading the text, I figured out, men like women, should protect their skin. Because our skin is an essential factor for being young even in the 60s. So these days, I start face yoga with my wife; we really enjoy and have fun times together.